BULLYING- A PROBLEM WE CAN SOLVE
Did you know Pennsylvania is ranked #4 out of all 50 States (behind #1 California, #2 New York, #3 Illinois) for bullying! This is a major epidemic facing children in today’s world and there alarming statistics that we feel all parents should be aware of:
– 23% of elementary students are bullied 1-3 times per month!
– More than 50% of incidents go unreported!
– 14% of those incidents were severe in nature!
Bullying can cause detrimental emotional reactions with children that can lead to serious repercussions such as:
– A feeling of loneliness and trouble making friends.
– Poor academic performance and substance abuse.
– Can cause a student to take action in very serious and dangerous ways such as taking a weapon to school for “payback” towards those inflicting the bullying.
Our self-defense classes deal with bully prevention and teach personal defense skills that target the affects of bullying on an emotional and physical level. These skills include:
-Better Focus- Utilizing eye-contact to diffuse the situation.
-Improved Confidence- to assert authority.
-Effective personal defense skills- to handle bullying if it turns into an attack and defend situation.
We find that Black Belt students are better equipped to to handle a bully confrontation by encouraging them to be happy, healthy, and confident! Martial arts instruction also focuses on influencing them to be life champions and to never let anyone hurt them inside or out!